Emerging Artist Solo & Aria Competition
The Emerging Artist Solo & Aria Competition provides an opportunity to a young emerging artist living in the North State to perform a solo work/aria with the Shasta Symphony Orchestra.
The competition is open to all young musicians in the North State up to age 25.
Past winners must wait one competition cycle to compete again.
Candidates must select a work that has available orchestral parts for rent or purchase.
Note: Please contact Music Director, Dr. Jeff Specht, email@example.com, to ensure your chosen work is eligible.
If selected as a winner, the candidate is expected to perform the work they auditioned with unless there is a parts availability issue. Any repertoire change request or performing the solo on a different SSO concert is at the music director’s discretion.
Required – In order to compete, all candidates must send an email by Friday, October 27th to Dr. Jeff Specht firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Musician’s name as they’d like to see it in the program
- Information about their work:
- Composer birth and death dates (1770-1817, or b. 1981)
- The name of their accompanist
Competition Round (Live Recital)
The live competition round will take place on Tuesday, October 31st starting at 6:30pm in the Shasta College Theatre and is open to the public.
There will be two divisions – Instrumental and Vocal
Ideally, one winner from each division will be selected. If circumstances warrant, more than one winner may be chosen in either category or no winners in a category. All decisions are made at the discretion of the adjudication panel.
- All works must be performed with accompaniment (memorization is not required)
- You may abridge a longer work but only in the piano tutti sections. No alterations to the solo part is permitted unless authorized in advance.
- All candidates must provide three copies of their piano score for the judges prior to competition. Photocopies are accepted.
Not adhering to these required elements will result in disqualification.